With the Master of Arts (Creative Writing) finally completed, I’m back crafting and teaching digital content that takes into account design thinking and usability principles, W3C guidelines, web and mobile writing conventions, clients’ strategic aspirations, customers’ expectations and addresses search engine optimisation (SEO). And any requirements for translation or localisation come standard.
Digital Content Writing
My writing output could be anything from web/mobile copy, eDM, all things social, ghost blogging, video scripts and story boards, and UX microcopy to native advertising features, white papers, bid documents, infographics and more. Find out about doing it ‘write’ digitally via content design, content strategy and content marketing.
In the media
Teaching ‘Writing for web and mobile’ + content management
Apart from developing writing style guides and customised digital content workshops for corporate clients, like Westpac, Origin Energy, NSW Parks and Wildlife, Qantas, Department of Defence (Canberra) and Micros, I also teach a ‘Writing for web and mobile’ course at the Australian Writers’ Centre, Sydney Campus:
- Next session: Wednesday 4th March, 2020
Featured freelance writing:
Around the world in eight days (at the races) – PDF of a travel feature published in The Australian newspaper highlighting eight top horse racing events across the world to get the jet-setting punter’s blood up.
Casa Camper, Berlin hotel review – South China Morning Post – a funky hotel by the cult shoe brand from which to explore Germany’s capital of cool.
The stud – Their racing days might be over, but champion stallions can earn millions more at stud than they ever could on the track. This Good Weekend feature in The Sydney Morning Herald focuses on a ‘day in the life’ of Australia’s champion sire, Exceed And Excel, the first boy to mate with Black Caviar.
Digital client list
- Qantas.com – Content and capability lead as part of replatform and content migration program to AEM
- Digital Transformation Office – Content designer/wrangler
- Westpac Banking Group – Copywriting, editing, SEO, strategy, marketing, content management/migration
- Zurich Financial Services – Copywriting, editing, SEO, content management/migration
- Optus – Producer, editing, content management
- Kann Finch Architects – SEO, copywriting, web editing
- TurksLegal – SEO, copywriting, editing
- Digital Garden – Blogging, SEO, copywriting, web editing
- Toga Property Group – SEO, copywriting, web editing
Freelance print journalism
- South China Morning Post magazine – Travel writing features
- Crikey.com.au – Letters and feature articles from Amsterdam, Brussels, Rio de Janeiro
- The Sydney Morning Herald – Good Food and Good Weekend features
- The Weekend Australian – Travel insights, hotel reviews, destination guides
- Australian Design Review – Architect profiles, building project case studies
- Get Up & Go – Travel
- Inside Sport – Artificial reefs, surfing, beach volleyball
- GQ Australia – Literary profiles, book reviews, travel, Tech.
As well as being a contributing author to the South American V!va Travel series and the U.S. NileGuide, I’ve also published freelance travel writing for Get Lost and GQ. See a selection of travel writing samples here.
One of the final semesters of my Master of Arts degree was spent as a full-time university exchange student in The Netherlands. A travel blog – Our Man in Amsterdam – with links to Flickr albums, kept track of the experience.
Volunteering – Habitat for Humanity
In early 2017, I participated in a volunteer program to build basic housing for poor and displaced villagers in rural Cambodia. Organised by Habitat for Humanity, 17 volunteers from around the world meet up in Battambang (near Siem-Reap) to lend a hand in anyway we could. Check out this video overview of the humbling experience.
Contact Grant Doyle
Feel free to contact me to pass on a comment or commission some work.